How to Apply to the Chemistry PhD Program:
You will need to submit an application through UCI Graduate Division. The Department of Chemistry recommends applicants to take the Chemistry Subject GRE test or subject GRE in an appropriate interdisciplinary area, such as Physics or Biochemistry, Cell, and Molecular Biology.
Applications will be reviewed beginning December 1 and admissions will be made on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply by December 1 for the best chance of admission. The final deadline for applications is March 15.
International Students and students who do not speak English as their native language, will need to review the UCI Graduate Division Information for International Applicants. Most international students will need to submit scores for one of the following tests:
- TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Testing) An overall score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT is required for admission.
- IELTS (Academic Modules of the International English Testing System) An overall score of 7, with a score of no less than 6 on any individual module, is required for admission.
Please note, Chemistry PhD students are funded as a Teaching Assistant in their first year and applicants with a TOEFL iBT speaking score of 25 and below or an IELTS speaking score of a 7.5 or below are typically not admitted. However, if you do not meet this English requirement and you are a highly qualified student who would fill a need in our research team you are strongly encouraged to contact the Chemistry faculty whose research interests you and apply to the program.
Applying to the Graduate Program in Physics:
- Official transcripts – ONE COPY – from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended (Foreign students’ transcripts must be in their home language, as well as translated into English).
- Official General GRE scores – taken within five years of date of entry
- Three letters of recommendation.
Recommendation letters are usually submitted electronically, although it is possible to submit hardcopies by postal mail if necessary. For more information and instructions regarding electronic and postal letter submission, please visit:
Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) programQualifying international 1st year Ph.D. students will receive a “SEVIS Stipend” in the amount of $100. To qualify, students must have paid the SEVIS* fee, and must be enrolled at UCI for Fall quarter of their entering year – the SEVIS stipend only applies to international students. For more information, visit: